Signature campaign for a halal trademark

Madina Archives

Madinat al-Muslimeen Islamic Message Board

Signature campaign for a halal trademark
abc
03/31/01 at 03:55:33
Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullah
This is a forward i got a couple of days ago

http://www.petitiononline.com/Hallal/petition.html

>Wassalam
>May Allah reward you all!
>PS. Lets try and get 10 million signatures by 30th April (Inshallah) Its
>not Impossible. Try and forward this email to as many as possible.
>Were hoping to take this case to the European Union. As they do not
>"recognize" the word 'Halal' in the EU food Act....as a they told a
>fellow Muslim.
>Thank you for your time...
>---
>Regards
>Ammar Farooq
Re: Signature campaign for a halal trademark
humble_muslim
04/03/01 at 12:22:32
AA

I signed up on this, but I have a problem.  I really think that too much effort is going into these food issues, much more than prescribed by the Shariah.  Islam is easy.  From one of Shiekh Uthameen's fatwas, it seems that if a muslim does not know whether something is haram, he can assume it is halal without having to bend over backwards and find out about it.  Also, if an ignorant person claims that something is halal is actually haram, that is WORSE than the other way round.  I remember one "scholar" who told me that my salat was not going to be accepted for 40 days because I ate ice cream containing chocolate liquor!!

Anyway, do all these people who seem to care so much about halal/haram food have the same concern for their salat, for example ?  Missing one salat is a MUCH bigger sin than eating something haram in ignorance.
Re: Signature campaign for a halal trademark
abc
04/05/01 at 04:13:04
Assalam alaikum wa rahmatullah

While you are fully entitled to your viewpoint, you should remember that a good no. of people also subscribe to the opposite opinion, that animals slaughtered in other than an islamic manner is not permissible. Actually, I've never lived in a western country (although I do have an idea of the food situation coz my bro lives there), but I can tell you the scenario in an arab muslim country is not that perfect. Technically, all food and consumable items have to be screened by the ministry of awqaf, but I doubt if they do their job properly. To give an example, I once bought a snacks packet which contained poppy seeds as one of the ingredients. Now I'm not saying that poppy seeds are halal or haram but I know for a fact that they are banned here and so the food containing it should've also been banned had the ministry been taking its job seriously. In the same way, the officials could've overlooked other products that contained clearly haram things, like lard for instance. Maybe if a central, internationally recognized organization is there, there can be more strict enforcement and stringent labelling of the products.
Also, according to the petition the trademark is not only limited to food items, but also for toiletries, cosmetics and medicine. Many cosmetic and bodycare products do not even completely list all their ingredients, let alone care whether they are according to islamic laws. Recently, I bought some cream  without reading the constituents. When I came home, I realised that one of the components was cholesterol . Another cream had liquified elastin in it.  I know that these couldn't have come from a plant source, and almost certainly not synthetic, so from what animal was it taken? and how was it slaughtered? This is where a trademark could come in handy. Just one glance at a product on the market shelf and u know it has certified things, u don't have to strain your eyes on the extremely fine print that the manufacturers use to list the constituents, if at all they do so.
About the salah, I don't know what to say. I don't suppose anyone of us will get to know these ppl personally, so we should just assume that they are good muslims with good intentions, they've got their fara'id in order and  have proceeded onto other things.
The bottom line I think is that rather than discouraging and criticizing, we should support and encourage the effort these muslims are trying to make. After all they aren't really asking for much, just a couple of minutes and a few keystrokes :)

wassalam
Re: Signature campaign for a halal trademark
BrKhalid
04/05/01 at 04:33:47
Asalaamu Alaikum ;-)

[quote]Missing one salat is a MUCH bigger sin than eating something haram in ignorance. [/quote]

Agreed humble muslim but eating haram increases the chances of you missing your salat.

What I'd like to know is if you eat haram in ignorance, whether you still get the ill effects of eating haram with knowledge (ie does it still become easier for you to sin thereafter?)

Individual posts do not necessarily reflect the views of Jannah.org, Islam, or all Muslims. All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster and may not be used without consent of the author.
The rest © Jannah.Org