From: fgjndmn ghmhfjhljoh <@yahoo.com>
Subject: please tell me my homework!!!!!!

Assalamualakum Sr. Jannah,

I am sorry that I missed so many classes.Since I have
I would appreciate it if you could email me back and
tell me what it is for all of the days I missed.I am
really behind in classes and I would like to catch up.

Jazakumulahukayran
Student Name

isn't that cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)
Re: hope for muslim youth yet???
Saleema
04/03/01 at 11:30:40
isn't that cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No. :)

I told my students that if they miss too many days then I would flunk them and so they show up.
there are two that I have given a warning to that are on the verge of failing because of absences.

Man these parents don't even care about their kids education in Islamic school but they will get angry if their child brings home a B in Math. So I'm going to teach these parents a lesson. (Yeah, I probably won't be teaching after this year but I don't plan on going down without at least a fight)

wassalam
Re: hope for muslim youth yet???
jannah
04/03/01 at 12:19:32
yeah parents are wack i'll agree..but flunking the kid is punishing the kids, not the parents and they'll always remember islamic school negatively.  maybe you can think of a solution that makes the parents look bad etc..ie have the principal call them up or something.
Re: hope for muslim youth yet???
Saleema
04/03/01 at 12:36:36
Assalam ualykum,

I see what you are saying but there's not much I can do. I'm not going to pass kids to the next grade level when they haven't learned anything, that's not fair to the few kids who do learn and who do care and whose parents care too.

Even the kids don't take Islamic school seriously. They will worry for a test in English but they don't worry like that for any tests in Islamic school.

Calling parents doesn't work not even when I call them to tell them that their children need to behave in class. Our poor principle at Islamic school gets cursed at by parents! Astagferullah and we wonder why the youth are so bad, look at their parents!

One lady tried to start a verbal fight with me because I told her that her son was disrupting the class. I gave her a piece of my mind, these parents don't scare me.

wassalam
Re: hope for muslim youth yet???
bhaloo
04/03/01 at 13:43:14
slm

I remember in schools that the bad kids would have to get notes signed by the parents.  At least in this way the parents know what is going on.

How about putting the names of the students that have A's and maybe B's in the local community newspaper, i.e. Fikrah ?  That will give incentive for those that are doing poorly to do better.
hope..?
princess
04/05/01 at 00:42:46
[quote]How about putting the names of the students that have A's and maybe B's in the local community newspaper, i.e. Fikrah ?  That will give incentive for those that are doing poorly to do better.   [/quote]

walikumas'salaam warahmatullah :)

there's very few kids that r ahh, teachable :) parents send their kids to masjid schools thinking it's our responsibility to make them better muslims..not realizing that the teacher spends maybe 2 and a 1/2 hrs with these kids every weekend, @ the most..it's wacked..:(

as far as fikrah..(1) it's a MAGAZINE! not a newspaper! i feel so insulted :) and the idea is coo..but we're short on man power as is..inshAllah, when we got a few more ppl on board, inshAllah, that's something i'd like to take part in :) later langur ;-D
Re: hope for muslim youth yet???
pakiprncess
04/12/01 at 11:26:40

[quote]slm
I remember in schools that the bad kids would have to get notes signed by the parents.  At least in this way the parents know what is going on.
[/quote]

asalaam alaikum friends...

hmm, id like to comment on this...my mom is a teacher at the local islamic center here, and we're always clueless on how to manage the children. the younger ones seem to be mroe eager in learning and more willing to do things (ie theyll call my mom when they will be out of town to get hw assignments, they will patiently wait with their Qurans out for my mom to turn their way, etc) but the older ones are MUCH harder to manage. seems almost as if they think theyre "too old" to learn anything else about islam...its really frustrating, because then their parents blame my mom for their disinterest in their islamic studies...when really they should encourage their children to go beyond the 2 mandatory hours of in-class study and read with them at home. although i agree, the signatures would at least make the parents aware, they might be angry with the teachers unability to capture the students interest, rather than their own childs lack of attention on the topic...

i dont know, just a thought....maybe im just being overprotective because shes my mother, and shes wonderful! hehe

let me know what you think.....Allah hafiz
Re: hope for muslim youth yet???
MuslimaKanadiyya
04/12/01 at 18:02:41
slm

Hey!  I liked it.  At least this child wants to learn and is concerned about the material that he/she missed.

wlm
Re: hope for muslim youth yet???
BrKhalid
04/12/01 at 18:10:38
Asalaamu Alalikum ;-)

[quote]...its really frustrating, because then their parents blame my mom for their disinterest in their islamic studies...when really they should encourage their children to go beyond the 2 mandatory hours of in-class study and read with them at home. [/quote]

I get the feeling this is a bit of a universal problem :(
Re: hope for muslim youth yet???
eleanor
04/15/01 at 13:04:59

[quote]
Hey!  I liked it.  At least this child wants to learn and is concerned about the material that he/she missed.
[/quote]
I agree. If the kid has missed loads of classes and then waltzes in one day as if nothing has happened then you can be mad. Compare this to the whole question of deen.
If we go to Allah and repent for missing prayers or whatever I'm sure he won't flunk us.

wasalaam
eleanor
Re: hope for muslim youth yet???
jehad
04/24/01 at 14:06:16
asalm walakum,, my brother is one of the governers of this islamic school that has just openned. he wants me to help teach  kids ,, should i?,,, i dont know how kids are like in america,, but down here they a violent, and know more swear words then ,,,, hmmmmmmmmmmm, then some one who knows lodes of swear words.

Re: hope for muslim youth yet???
nehar
05/01/01 at 07:59:05
kids r soooooooooooooo cute
Re: hope for muslim youth yet???
chachi
05/18/01 at 21:42:14

The root of this din is compassion and forgiveness jannah
and you know this more than i do

'forgive your brother 70,000 times a day...'

'he who does not have mercy on others i will have no mercy on him..'

some kids are able to work on own..but concentration and time-keeping are skills that need to be taught..so many parents don't know them

Re: hope for muslim youth yet???
jannah
05/18/01 at 21:59:15
It's not for me to forgive them. they haven't done any wrong against me. it's their children and their islamic education they should worry about.
Re: hope for muslim youth yet???
ZIL
05/29/01 at 12:06:28
[quote]I told my students that if they miss too many days then I would flunk them and so they show up.  there are two that I have given a warning to that are on the verge of failing because of absences.

but flunking the kid is punishing the kids, not the parents and they'll always remember islamic school negatively.  [/quote]

[slm]

In my experiences as a teacher, I found that failing (or at least giving them low grades) can have a positive effect on the student's future performance.  I used to teach 6-10 year olds and when I explained to them that their grade was low because they didn't come to class, they started arguing with their parents on why they didn't bring them to school.  The parents must have been in an awkward situation.  The next semester their attendance improved, and so did their grades.  It does work with some, but not everybody.

[slm]
Re: hope for muslim youth yet???
slime
06/25/01 at 19:27:38
salam,
i go to a public school, i think kids like my age (13), they have attitude problems like talking back. kids arent scared if u give em a detention or give em a bad mark. the word most kids fear is 'suspension'.
Re: hope for muslim youth yet???
flyboy_nz
09/28/01 at 07:01:47
[slm]
i remember a lecture by Imam Siraj Wahaj..he said if you want people to obey you, don't order them to do what they cannot do.

So i guess ya have to give the kids the roots, the basics, the fundamentals, the foundation.  Anyone got any stories about how the Prophet [saw] raised his kids?
Re: hope for muslim youth yet???
bhaloo
09/29/01 at 00:14:12
slm

Imam Siraj Wahaj spoke in NZ?
Re: hope for muslim youth yet???
jannah
09/29/01 at 01:46:58
wlm,

I wouldn't be surprised.. he goes to Australia on a regular basis, they love him! :) who wouldn't eh...
Re: hope for muslim youth yet???
flyboy_nz
09/29/01 at 19:14:01
[wlm]

[quote]Imam Siraj Wahaj spoke in NZ?[/quote]

No unfortunately not....he was meant to come this year, but the US govt didn't allow him to travel for some reason :(

I just heard one of his audio tapes..really inspirational.

Individual posts do not necessarily reflect the views of Jannah.org, Islam, or all Muslims. All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster and may not be used without consent of the author.
The rest © Jannah.Org