Info. on the Anti-Taliban petition regarding women

Madina Archives

Madinat al-Muslimeen Islamic Message Board

Info. on the Anti-Taliban petition regarding women
Kashif
06/11/01 at 18:57:27
assalaamu alaikum

perhaps you've received an e-mail sometime in the past year painting a horrific picture of the status of women in Afghanistan. This e-mail was full of exaggerated stories of the harshness that women face in Afghanistan along with tales which are too absurd to mention here.

Below is the text of an e-mail exchange between myself and Elizabeth Gardner of Vanderbilt University.

-----------------------------------
Please don't send this petition along.  It is NOT a real petition and has  been going around the internet for a couple of years now with nowhere to end up it appears.

The Brandeis address is false.  I did not originate it but somehow along the way my automatic email signature became attached to the bottom of it and I have received a flood of calls and emails like yours inquiring. If convenient please help me to shut it down by  replying to the person from whom you received it  let them know you checked it out and that it is bogus.

Thanks so much for checking this out before sending it along.

At 01:07 PM 6/7/01 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi Elizabeth
>
>I've received an e-mail (the text of which is pasted below) a number
> of times over the past 6 months or so. It has an address at the
> bottom indicating that it originated from yourself. Can you confirm
> whether it did indeed originate from you or whether it is a hoax.
>
>Regards
>Kashif Nasir
>

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

>If you decide not to forward this, please send it back to me. This is an actual petition,  >and "signatures" will be lost if you drop the line.
>
>Please take 3 minutes out of your life to do your part.
>
>Madhu, the government of Afghanistan, is waging a war upon women. Since the Taliban took
>power in 1996, women have had to wear burqua and have been beaten and stoned in public for not having the proper attire, even if this means simply not having the m esh covering in
> front of their eyes

[text deleted]

>1) COPY this email on to a New Message (instead of
>a Forward)
>2)Sign the bottom, and
>3)Send it to everyone on your distribution lists.
>4)If you receive this list with more than 300 names on it, please
e-mail
>a copy of it to: sarabande@brandeis .edu
>
>Even if you decide not to sign, please be considerate and do not kill
the petition.

>Elizabeth Gardner, SLP The John F. Kennedy Center for
>Human Development Vanderbilt University, Nashville,
>TN 37203
Re: Info. on the Anti-Taliban petition regarding women
UmmZaid
06/12/01 at 09:31:12
Salaam 'Alaikum

I'd like to add a few details to this.

The Brandeis e-mail address is not false, at least, it wasn't initially.  It was the real, live, and true e-mail address of the woman who wrote this petition.  However, the massive response she got (negative and positive) caused problems for Brandeis' server  and they shut her e-mail account down.  They *used* to send out a message whenver you tried to e-mail that address explaining what had happened, but it's been a few years now since this started, so they probably don't anymore.

The petition is now listed in the Urban Legends Archives.
E-mail petitions are not taken seriously by Congress, the President, the UN, any news organizations, or the Taliban (who've probably had this petition sent to their NY e-mail address a million and one times).  Web-based petitions are taken more seriously.

This is in addition to the misleading statements and outright falsehoods contained in this extremely Islamophobic petition.  Do yourself and all your Muslim friends a favor: delete it, don't forward it.  If you want to help the Afghan Muslim people, forward links to Red Cross / Red Crescent's demining program, or to the International Campaign to Ban Landmine's homepage, or to numerous orgs that are doing something for the Afghan people.

Individual posts do not necessarily reflect the views of Jannah.org, Islam, or all Muslims. All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster and may not be used without consent of the author.
The rest © Jannah.Org