Canadian govt agents harass Muslims

Madina Archives

Madinat al-Muslimeen Islamic Message Board

Canadian govt agents harass Muslims
Haseeba
07/19/01 at 09:56:50
Subject: Canadian govt agents harass Muslims

>In the Name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful
>The Canadian Islamic Congress Friday Bulletin
>Thursday, June 21,2001 - 29 Raby`al-awal 1422 Year:4 Volume:4 Issue:36
>MEDIA COMMUNIQUÉ
>THE CANADIAN ISLAMIC CONGRESS
>

>JUNE 21, 2001
>

>OTTAWA POLICE MISUSES POWER IN PRAYING HALL
>

>The Canadian Islamic Congress today called for full investigation of
>how Ottawa police raided a small praying hall in Ottawa last Wednesday
>June 13.
>

>"Not respecting a place of worship, mishandling a holy book,
>intimidating young people, using foul language and abusive behavior
>are all unacceptable," said Prof. Mohamed Elmasry, national president
>of the Canadian Islamic Congress.
>

>"We are seeking legal advice of what steps we should take against the
>Ottawa police," said Mumtaz Akhter, Chair of the Ottawa Muslim
>organization which is following up the incident.
>

>According to eyewitness account, at about 11 pm on Wednesday June 13,
>2001 a SWAT team from the Ottawa police entered a small praying room
>(Musalla) at an apartment building on Clarence Avenue in Ottawa.
>

>"They ordered us to line up, hands up, and searched us one after
>another. When I asked them to take off their shoes they refused," said
>one of the young people who were interrogated. "The Qur'an was thrown
>out and one of them called someone on the phone saying that there are
>a lot of literature here needed translation. They have shown no
>respect for an Islamic place of worship. I wonder if they would do
>that inside a church or a synagogue?"
>

>CONTACT
>Mumtaz Akhter (613) 592-4014
>

>Kaleem Akhter (613) 742-0469
>

>Prof Mohamed Elmasry (519) 888-4567 Ext 3753 (O), (519) 746-7928 (H)

Re: Canadian govt agents harass Muslims
Anik
07/20/01 at 19:13:53
A.A.

okay, alright,

outrageous...

now let's hear their part of the story...

why would the be there in the first place?

you need a warrant and the post lacks a second side,

next thing,

I don't think police should take off shoes...

they shouldn't treat the place with disrespect, such as throwing a Quran (Allah Subhana forgive them for that one...),

but they do not have to observe the customs of a place that deter their ability when enforcing the law, when it is in reasoneable measure. That's just my belief. asalamau alaikum. abdullah,.
Re: Canadian govt agents harass Muslims
Haseeba
07/21/01 at 08:52:47
well this is the press relese from the muslim community ... obviosly they dont want to say ne thing incriminting against themselve  ... but i do think they should take off their shoes ... because it is a matter of respect .. when a criminal is arrested he still has rights .. to be treated properly .. same as when a building or house is searched
Re: Canadian govt agents harass Muslims
Anik
07/21/01 at 16:01:17
A.A.

I see what your saying Haseeba but we have to understand that the poilice, as non-muslims, cannot be impeded by the fact that they have a custom to follow that is someone else's...

it's like saying you can't chase a murderer into a church lest he cry sanctuary... even though that is a very extreme example, respect only goes so far as it's a common courtesy;

although we all would personally want for the officers to take of their shoes, how can we expect them to respect our tradition, most officers would find it alien.

should they also, for example:

wear a turban when entering a Sikh gurudwara?

when it comes to the law, they have to do their jobs... I am sure they were there for some serious reason... more than a noise complaint I would think... what if a criminal ran away or attacked them? Shoeless, they would be unable to do their job... that whole extra stuff with throwing the Quran, well of course, astagh'ferallah, is unacceptable.

Sometimes cops just play "tough and rotten cop" on purpose... why? to enrage a group of people... see people's temperment... intimidate and scare people...

I seriously wonder now what the reason was... I am sure some issue here is being avoided, but nevertheless the police behaviour was unaccepatbel and a grave sin at that. asalaamu alikum. abdullah,.

p.s. tell Muneeb to come on!
Re: Canadian govt agents harass Muslims
Anik
07/21/01 at 23:21:31
A.A.

here was the thread previous;y posted by I think Amatullah

the thread we read has some variation:

Armed officers in body armour burst in and all eight of the men were ordered out of the apartment and lined up against the wall. Officers then searched the apartment, "walking all over the musallah carpet," and leaving "one copy of the Holy Koran disrespectfully on the floor," according to a statement by the eight young men.

Mohammed Elmasry, national president of the Canadian Islamic Congress, said the officers said, "We don't really care," when told a holy book had been knocked to the floor.

"If something was knocked over, we apologize, especially if it's a holy book. It was not meant as disrespect," said Staff Sgt. Dugal.

asalaamu alaikum. abdullah,.
Re: Canadian govt agents harass Muslims
Saleema
07/22/01 at 02:12:36
[slm]

The police did not have a search warrant and the serach was carried out illigaly. When they get sued they will learn their lesson and learn to respect other people eventually.

Muslims should not be sitting ducks, we have rights and we will demand them.

[wlm]
Saleema

Individual posts do not necessarily reflect the views of Jannah.org, Islam, or all Muslims. All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster and may not be used without consent of the author.
The rest © Jannah.Org