From: Iraq Update <worker-iraq-announce@lists.tao.ca>
To: iraq-announce@lists.tao.ca
Subject: IRAQ UPDATE [9-15-01] Tragedy in New York and Washington and  the
Drive to War
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 02:27:32 -0500

Hello, all. Iraq Update joins the nation and the world in mourning for the dead and in condemning the brutal terror attack that killed them.

It also joins the growing chorus of voices for peace, opposing any massive "retaliation" that will kill innocent civilians in revenge for the killing of other innocent civilians.

For perspectives on the roots of the bombing U.S. foreign policy and the need for a radically different policy to assure our security, see "The War Comes Home":

www.commondreams.org/views01/0912-07.htm

"Enough!":  www.commondreams.org/views01/0913-08.htm

and "Respond to Violence: Teach Peace, not War" : www.commondreams.org/views01/0914-01.htm

For statements of groups working on the Iraq sanctions, see:

www.endthewar.org

For an analysis of how the peace movement can respond to head off war, see "A Call to Dialogue":
www.commondreams.org/views01/0913-07.htm

This piece also links to statements from some national peace groups.

For an online form to send letters to Congress calling for restraint, see:

www.globalexchange.org/september11/

Do remember that phone calls and letters carry more weight than email. You can find your representatives' contact information at:
www.house.gov and www.senate.gov

The resolution passed by Congress says, "The president is authorized to use all necessary and appropriate force against those nations, organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on Sept. 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations or persons." In other words, a blank check for arbitrary acts of indiscriminate destruction. The price for the world and for our nation of this policy goes forward will be immeasurable.

To thank Rep. Barbara Lee of California for having the courage to be the only dissenting voice, please call 202-225-2661.

This is a very difficult time for all of us, as a nation and as a movement. It is also, however, a critically important time for us to speak up. A tremendous number of people are interested for the first time in our policies in the Middle East, and how they are connected to incidents like this. With the incredible drive to war and the jingoism of television anchors and editorial page writers, it is absolutely essential that we use all the forums available to us, both online and off, to remind people that there is another perspective.

We will return to news about Iraq later on. For now, it is important to note that, although the media has convicted Osama bin Laden, there are some people claiming, as Laurie Milroy did in the Wall Street Journal on September 13, that Iraq was behind the attack. This is particularly dangerous, because, as we all know, Iraq is a very attackable target. It is too early to know what form any planned retaliation will take, but please be aware that Iraq is not yet ruled out.

For information on the U.S. role in creating and using bin Laden, see:
http://globalresearch.ca/articles/CHO109C.html

For updates on actions being taken and proposed, see:
www.nowarcollective.com

Please forward widely.

In Solidarity,

Iraq Update

Individual posts do not necessarily reflect the views of Jannah.org, Islam, or all Muslims. All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster and may not be used without consent of the author.
The rest © Jannah.Org