Misunderstanding the hijab

Madina Archives

Madinat al-Muslimeen Islamic Message Board

Misunderstanding the hijab
MuslimaKanadiyya
10/29/01 at 11:18:19
[slm]

I was sad to read this in today's Globe and Mail.  I am considering writing to the editor of the newspaper, but thought it might be a good idea to see what other people thought of it first.  I really don't want to seem like just another irate Muslim so if anyone has any ideas about compassionate ways to educate the author and the editor about hijab, please let me know.
I think that she thinks that she's trying to understand islamic dress codes, but I really don't think that she succeeds.

Also, If anyone wants to e-mail the author of the article, I've included her address at the bottom of the post.

Jazak allah khairan
[wlm]
Leslie
PRINT EDITION

Wearing the hijab: Walking straight with your arms at your sides

By LEAH MCLAREN

Saturday, October 27, 2001 – Page L3

"A woman deserves to be hidden -- her body as well as her voice."
-- Imam Qurtubi, Islamic scholar

Sultan Salahuddin is helping me pick out my first[i] burqa[/i] and matching [i]hijab.[/i] We are in his shop, Islamic Books and Souvenirs, on Gerrard Street East in the Little India district of Toronto. Countless different editions of the Koran line the walls amid all manner of Islamic kitsch -- glitzy prayer beads and I Love Allah mugs with a heart where the word "love" should be. I ask him if he has any full veils with the mesh masks, like the ones women wear in Afghanistan under the Taliban.

"Oh!" he says, clapping his hands together, "I ordered four a month ago and sold the last one yesterday. But here, I will find you something very beautiful, for everyday wear." He pulls a slippery black polyester garment off the rack and points out the embroidery on the trim. "This one has a matching scarf," he says, helping me to do up the buttons, wrapping the [i]hijab[/i] tightly around my head and pinning it under my chin with a black diaper pin. He checks to make sure the [i]hijab[/i] falls evenly, adjusting it to conceal my throat and hair and then holds up a small gilt mirror. A tiny, chalk-faced nun stares back, her blue eyes silently panicked.

Sultan puts one hand over his heart, cocks his head and sighs. "Now, you look very pretty," he says, smiling. "Most people do not understand the [i]hijab.[/i] It is from the inside. It will make you do good in your life."

I ask Sultan if he is married and he says he is. "Does your wife wear one of these?" I ask. He laughs. "Oh no, she is American."

Before I leave the shop, Sultan gives me a book on the history of the [i]hijab[/i] and insists I take a gift of prayer beads. Impulsively, I pluck a sparkly pink plastic string off the rack, but he shakes his head and pulls a looped strand of polished stone beads from under the counter. "I want you to have these ones," he says, slipping the string over my wrist. "They very expensive and good. You can hold them whenever you feel strange."

Within the Muslim world, cover for women is a subject of agonizing internal debate. Many reformed Muslims, particularly in the West, argue that traditional dress such as the [i]hijab[/i], the face and head cover, as well as the full body shroud known alternately as the [i]burqa[/i] or [i]jalbab[/i],is a cultural imposition rather than a religious dictate. Forcing women to cover up, the reformers say, reflects an overly literal interpretation of scripture, in particular the passage in the Koran that commands that the wives of the Prophet speak to their husband "from behind a screen; that makes for greater purity for your hearts and theirs." (Surah Ahzab, v. 53)

But for millions of traditional Muslim women, wearing the [i]hijab[/i] is a matter of divine law. For them, the message is clear: Cover up or consider your ticket to paradise null and void.

As a godless Western woman accustomed to baring as much of myself as Canadian weather will comfortably allow, I was curious to know what it would feel like to wear the veil for a day. My assumption was that people would be offended by the sight of a WASP in traditional Muslim garb, particularly after the outraged response CBC news correspondent Céline Galipeau recently received when she appeared on the television in the pro-Taliban city of Quetta, Pakistan, with a [i]hijab[/i] wrapped loosely around her head. I'd assumed people would stare, or even sneer, at me, and yet as I roam the streets and ride public transit shrouded in my black [i]burqa[/i] and [i]hijab[i],precisely the opposite proves true. No one rests their eyes on my face long enough to notice my paleness. People move aside on the sidewalk and traffic stops to let me jaywalk across Yonge Street. The world is suddenly giving me a wide berth. I feel invisible, and yet accommodated. It's actually quite pleasant.

But it's hot under here. My skin is sticky and irritated and I wonder what the covered women of the Taliban normally wear under their [i]burqas[/i] to keep from roasting in the desert. I'm guessing it isn't a sweater and jeans.

Normal behavior seems strangely inappropriate under the veil. I miss four calls on my cellphone before I figure out how to shove the receiver up and under the [i]hijab[/i] and even then I feel strangely self-conscious talking. Chewing gum suddenly feels like a comically vulgar thing to do, as does putting on my sunglasses, drinking from a bottle of water, applying lipstick, laughing, looking at my watch, eating, bending down to tie my shoelace, using a credit card, making eye contact, asking where the bathroom is, reading the newspaper or petting a dog. For the first time ever, I am aware of how cocky and girlish my posture is. The veil commands me to take my hands off my hips, round my shoulders and lower my chin. It persuades me to walk quickly with my arms at my side, staring down at the sidewalk.

I meet a friend for lunch at a restaurant uptown. He is visiting on business from the United States and arrives wearing a chunky 101st U.S. Airborne Division belt buckle decorated with star and stripes -- an accessory that is sort of a joke and sort of isn't. I'd thought he would laugh when he saw me, but instead he looks awkward, hesitates before kissing me hello. The waiters are being overly attentive, announcing the arrival of "the citrus bouquet" before setting down lime slices for our mineral water.

"How do I look?" I ask.

"Sort of fragile and delicate. Like you're in need of protection," he says. I lower my eyes and think of the behavioural dictates of the [i]hijab[/i], listed in the book Sultan gave me: "Rule No. 5. When women need to talk to men, they should do so from behind a screen and not speak in a pleasant and overly friendly manner." Under the table, I finger the prayer beads and feel strangely, suddenly ashamed.

"Mostly," my friend continues, "you just look oppressed."

[email=lmclaren@globeandmail.ca]lmclaren@globeandmail.ca[/email]

[url=http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/printarticle/gam/20011027/STLEAH]Link to article here[/url]
Re: Misunderstanding the hijab
Marcie
10/28/01 at 09:36:56
As salamu alaykumm sister,

To be honest I'm really sick of the discussion about hijab, but you really need to respond to this one.

First off the only one that is doing the oppressing is the one that is telling me that I'm oppressed. My brothers and sisters aren't oppressing me, they respect me.  For me personally, as a women, I also find women who wear the headscarf beautiful, especially young sisters who have made the decision to wear it.  I know how tough it can be sometimes and I'm really proud of them for making this decision.

Secondly I'm a practicing European American Muslim revert, not a traditional Muslim, who like millions of others has CHOOSEN to follow the Quran when it comes to hijab.  Muslims believe that the Quran is the word of God and the laws that he has established are for all times and places.  This has nothing to do with traditional or reform policies. Please keep your terminology out of it.

Without speak to one Muslim you tell us what we thing.  Who said anything about you being a "godless western women?"  Only you know what is in your heart and what you believe.  You write an article judging us and then you even presume to know what we are thinking!  For  me personally the only person that concerns me is myself.  I'm so busy trying to make myself a better person that I really don't have time to judge anyone else, besides that it is really not Islamic.

If a sister decides to wear the hijab or not it is her own decision, she is still my sister in Islam and this issue has never interferred in my relationships.

Next time you chose to write an unbiased article try talking to some Mulim women.  We are everywhere and we come from all walks of life.  You'd be pleasantly suprised at the intellegence you'll find hidden behind a hijab.

Well right or wrong this is basically the email that I sent.

As salamu alaykum
Marcie

Re: Misunderstanding the hijab
eleanor
10/28/01 at 12:29:48
slm

Mash Allah. Well done Sister Marcie!

wasalaam
eleanor

as salaamu alaykum,

this girl's going down ):(

[quote]I really don't want to seem like just another irate Muslim so if anyone has any ideas about compassionate ways to educate the author and the editor about hijab, please let me know.[/quote]

Ok.. I'll try to keep my e-mail nice inshaAllah, just because you said that.  Suffice it to say that this article got me heated..

Re: Misunderstanding the hijab
se7en
10/28/01 at 21:53:26
Re: Misunderstanding the hijab
Barr
10/29/01 at 06:39:14
Assalamu'alaikum :-)

[quote]"Mostly," my friend continues, "you just look oppressed."[/quote]

err... so... errm... I guess.. that's how he feels towards nuns?
but.. oh wait... they're different.

Give me a break.

Sorry, mates.. just had to let that out.
Wassalam

Re: Misunderstanding the hijab
momineqbal
10/29/01 at 13:58:13
[slm],

[quote]Forcing women to cover up, the reformers say, reflects an overly literal interpretation of scripture, in particular the passage in the Koran that commands that the wives of the Prophet speak to their husband "from behind a screen; that makes for greater purity for your hearts and theirs." (Surah Ahzab, v. 53)
[/quote]

Speak to their husbands from behind the screen? May Allah guide people who can even take the liberty to misquote the Quran.

Wassalam
Re: Misunderstanding the hijab
Jenna
10/29/01 at 14:25:25
[wlm]

 This is the essence of Muslim Women!
~~~~~~

WOMEN OF THE VEIL

by Hena Farooq

Her long, thick, shiny black hair Fell against her back. Her rich, copper skin Gleamed in the sunlight. Her slender figure outlined, With her soft voluptuous curves. But when she stepped outside, She became a ghostly figure of the night.

Nothing more to the people Than a dark, shadowy figure of oppression. But she showed them. As she walked down the street, People made way, Men lowered their gazes in utmost respect. And others whispered, As she held her head up high, With pride in her belief And showed them how oppressed she really was!

While they whistled at their women, Looking them up and down as they were pieces of meat to be inspected? She pitied their savage ways. As she walked into the arms of her partner,
Her only love,
Her husband.
Where she was transformed, Into her beautiful self,
For only his eyes to see.
~~~~
A poem takin from my website Muslim Wives Talking!
http://allahsway.com

[slm]
Jenna :-)
Re: Misunderstanding the hijab
Arsalan
10/29/01 at 15:54:05
[slm]

Wow!  I didn't catch that error the first time I read the article eqbal!  That's pretty screwed up.
Re: Misunderstanding the hijab
Anonymous
10/29/01 at 18:11:01
Just for your interest, here's another recent article she
wrote. I found it searching for her name on the www.globeandmail.com
website:

The Muslim who came to Thanksgiving dinner

By LEAH MCLAREN

Saturday, October 13, 2001 – Print Edition, Page L3

As turkey crackled in the oven last Thanksgiving weekend, my extended
family sat transfixed watching Osama bin Laden address the world on CNN.
How still and sleek he was, menacing in battle fatigues and head scarf.
His words, filtered through stilted live translation, seemed
diametrically opposed to his dispassionate demeanour. "Every Muslim must rise to
defend his religion," he muttered into the camera. "The wind of faith
is blowing and the wind of change is blowing to remove evil from the
Peninsula of Mohammed, peace be upon him."

My father switched off the television. The cue for one of us to make a
cheerful quip about sports scores, or needing a refresher drink came
and went. Instead, silence. At the opposite end of the room, my
23-year-old younger sister, Meg, was cuddled up on the sofa with her new live-in
boyfriend, Akif Ghani.

Later in the evening, I asked Akif, who is the Canadian-born child of
Muslim Pakistani parents, what he thought of bin Laden's speech.

"That man," he said, "is not a Muslim."

In a sense, neither is Akif. While he went to the mosque every Friday
to pray as a child and still celebrates religious holidays with his
family, he is no longer a believer. "I don't believe in God," he said, "so
I don't consider myself a Muslim."

Akif's parents immigrated to Canada from Pakistan nearly 30 years ago.
Both he and his sister, Arshia, 26, were born and raised in the suburbs
of Ottawa, where they spent their childhood attending public school,
studying, hanging out at the mall, listening to pop music and watching
American sitcoms on TV. Akif's parents, who divorced a few years ago, are
both career civil servants.

Growing up, Akif didn't really think about his Muslim heritage. In the
multicultural stew that is our nation's capital, being brown seemed no
less weird than being white. Lately, for the first time, he has become
keenly conscious of his background.

"For the first time in my life, I feel defensive of my heritage," he
said. "People don't understand the religion, and they categorize all
brown people as Muslim. And it's also frustrating because this holy war
thing is ridiculous. Bin Laden wants people to believe the U.S. has
declared war on all Muslims, when really they've declared war on all
terrorists. Those crazy hijackers aren't Muslims. Terrorist acts are not Muslim
acts. Muslims don't believe in shedding the blood of innocents. Read
the Koran and you'll see that everything they have done is in direct
violation of the faith.

"Think of it this way," he said. "Nobody blamed all Christians after
Oklahoma City -- they blamed Timothy McVeigh."

Meg and Akif met in first year at St. Lawrence College in Kingston,
Ont., where they had rooms next door to each other in residence. They were
close friends for two years before they started dating. Meg bartended
at a nightclub on the weekends and Akif would drop by to see her.
Sometimes, she would go to watch him spin records as a DJ after work. Earlier
this year, when Akif released his independent debut CD, a collection of
original hip-hop songs entitled Something From My World,he mentioned
Meg affectionately in the acknowlegments.

Before meeting Akif and his family, Meg, who grew up with our father in
Cobourg, Ont., had never known anyone who was Muslim or from the Middle
East. A famously picky eater, we worried she might be an ungrateful
house guest under the Ghani roof. Before long, however, she was gamely
scarfing down curried potatoes for breakfast.

Meg and Akif aren't particularly politically minded. Both grew up
ensconced in the kind of middle-class, suburban comfort that makes issues of
ethnicity and religion seem uninteresting, even irrelevant. In the past
few weeks, all of this has changed. Watching the news after the World
Trade Center attacks, Akif often became distant and angry.

"It was hard for us to talk about it at first," my sister confided on
the weekend, while Akif and Dad were out in the garage.

"He was really tense about it. He'd get his back up and I didn't know
what to say. Akif is the first Muslim person I've ever known. If I
hadn't met him and his family, I wouldn't know anything about the Muslim
religion. I'd probably think all Muslims were terrorists, or really
extreme. You see the footage on the news of all those people praying and
rioting in the streets, throwing rocks and stuff. I'd probably think that
was basically what Muslims were all about."

More than seven million Muslims live in North America today and twice
that number in Europe. For many secular, Western-born Muslims like Akif,
the feeling of cultural alienation is new and distressing. It is as if
he suddenly exists inside and outside of two mutually exclusive
cultural worlds, both of which he is critical of. First and foremost a
Canadian, he is suddenly, glaringly, aware of a Muslim heritage he has long
ignored.

After the turkey was passed from plate to plate, my great step-uncle,
Nick, who is 95 and attends mass every day, mumbled a standard grace.
Something about, we are thankful to be starting this turkey dinner in the
name of God.

"Wait," said my stepmother, preventing Uncle Nick from lifting a
gravy-soaked Brussels sprout to his mouth. She turned to Akif and asked if he
would like to say a Muslim grace. If, she smiled, Muslims actually say
grace, of course. Akif obliged by uttering a few velvet Arabic
syllables.

"What does it mean?" we asked, enchanted.

"I start in the name of God."
lmclaren@globeandmail.ca

Re: Misunderstanding the hijab
gift
10/30/01 at 09:42:28
[slm]

[quote]While they whistled at their women, Looking them up and down as they were pieces of meat to be inspected? She pitied their savage ways. As she walked into the arms of her partner,
Her only love,
Her husband.
Where she was transformed, Into her beautiful self,
For only his eyes to see[/quote] what a beautiful way to put it subhanallah! (may we all have such wonderful marriages!)

[quote]"I don't believe in God," he said, "so
I don't consider myself a Muslim."[/quote] ):( ):( and he dares to comment on whether other people are muslims or not!! astaghfirullah
these people make me want to scream :(

[wlm]
Re: Misunderstanding the hijab
kiwi25
10/30/01 at 16:12:39
salam,

after reading the first article, i got soooooo mad, allowed my self to cool off for hmmm two seconds, and then wrote miss leah a letter.

i dont think i was harsh though, i just "critiqued" her work.  havent heard from her yet but like se7en said this women needs to go down.

wasalam,
nouha:)
Re: Misunderstanding the hijab
Mona
10/30/01 at 16:56:45
Assalamu alaikum,

I am not trying to generalize here, but gals, being harsh is the last thing we want to do.  We need to go back and examine the objective of replying to her in the first place.  Like Leslie said, the focus should be on educating her in compassionate means.  It is hard to do when her article is perceived as insulting to us, but it is the right thing to do. Let's remember that she is only exposed to the 'negative' image of Hijab. It is up to us to show her with kindness and patience that such ways of depicting Hijab i.e. negative association, are neither fair nor true to reality.

I wrote to her and heard back from her, she was very polite and apologetic about perpetuating the negative image of Hijab. The text of our correspondence is pasted below (sans some personal info). Insha'Allah it should help others.

Wassalam