Main Menu

Eid Journals......... Eiddddddddd Muuubarak ;)

Started by Jannah, December 16, 2006, 02:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jannah

salam,

Ok so think about it and try to remember everything you do on Eid day and then please write to us about it in this thread!!!

[jazaks]

Muslim

[slm]

Dunno about me. It's gonna be a pretty lonely Eid ul Adha for me this year. I think I'm gonna enjoy it  []

Jannah

[wlm]

Same here but lonely usually isn't a good thing here!!! but we might go to cheesecake factory so that's a definite plus  [wiseshaykh]

Ani

Assalamualaikum wt wb,

Brothers and sisters, my family and I are going to Cambodia to celebrate the Eidul Adha. For those who can afford it please you are welcome to join us. We'll be going on the 30th December and will be back by 1st January.

We have an ustaz whose parents were of Malay/Cambodian origin. He goes back to Cambodia during Eidul Fitri and Eidul adha to help the people there.

My husband has sent delegations to the village to do some fact findings. They are so poor. The floor of their masjid is of mud. Schools are few for the Muslims. Not much books, quran, hijab that they can afford.

Hence my husband decided that we go there and help. We are bringing two of our kids and their friend.

Our mission is 1)to do the Qurban there. It costs USD70 per share. The ustaz says that The Muslims in his village are able to eat meat only once a year (from the Qurban!). 2) Help build their mosque and school.3) Supply the quran, books and the hijab to the people there insyaAllah.

So please Jannah and others, please join us. Do come to Malaysia first and then we can fly to Cambodia together.

Salam
Ani

Jannah

wsalaam,

that's so nice if you sister, inshaAllah one day... i'd really like to visit malaysia and that part of the world.

enjoy your trip and an early eid mubarak :)

ws

aquamarine

Okay, I still feel really really guilty about signing up for the Ramadan diary and not getting that done, so I'll do the eidul-Adha thing ....inshallah ;)

Prepare to be bored to death....

Jannah

wsalam,

everyone who wants to, you can just post your eid journal here, u don't have to sign up or anything, just interesting to read about people's day. and if ur sayin it's boring from now u need to start planning something!!!

ws

Shahida

[slm]

Eid Mubarak to everyone!   :-*

Thought I would get us all started on the Eid al Adha diaries...

I had a very tumultuous Yaum al Arafah, extremes of stress, and extreme peace thereafter, alhamdulillah.  That is a story for another day, but alhamdulillah, nevertheless...

We celebrated Eid on Sunday.  I just could not wake up, despite the fact that my mother's biryani was wafting its way into my room from after Fajr.  I needed to shower, dry my hair, get dressed...I ended up having only 7 minutes to do all of the above.  As usual I was blamed for all of us being late!  Nevermind that my sister couldnt find her favourite scarf pin, or my mom was deciding last minute which shoes to wear! :D  I was the cause that we left 5 minutes later than scheduled! ;)

We parked about 200m away from the masjid, it was already full.  OMG!  We forgot to check the times for the Eid Salaah!! It was another 500m to the Musallah...when the car guard stopped us, and said that everyone was praying in the masjid and not on the park.  Alhamdulillah!  We made it just to hear the end of the English lecture.  The masjid was not full as usual.  I think most people assumed the prayer would be later.  Maybe they were making their way to the park, and not the masjid?  Anyway, alhamdulillah, we made it in time.

No matter how many times the Imaam explains how to pray the Eid Salaah, it is always difficult, if you cannot see the men.  Our space is on the first floor gallery, and there is an opaque green curtain-covered glass separating us from downstairs.  I have prayed this prayer many times, but it is more unfortunate for the sisters who dont know how.  They go into Rukuu', sujud, at the wrong times, and are left totally clueless.  Oh, well, Allah swt understands.  And may He swt accept it from all of us!

It is beautiful to see people in their best clothing walking and driving back home.  An old uncle is carrying a tray to his neighbours home.  He has on a white turban, and white shalwar...it matches well with his white beard, mashaAllah!  I hope he enjoys his breakfast with his neighbours.

All our neighbours go slaughtering.  It is wayyyy too much for me to watch animals being sacrificed.  I cannot take the smells, or the sights, or the blood.  I have nightmares about a Pakistani brother I saw last year, he looked like he had just returned from the Battle of Uhud, covered in blood.  I know, I know, a doctor affected by the sight of blood?  It makes no sense.  I hardly make sense these days, lol!

Lunch at home.  Then the plethora of guests, dropping in to say Eid Mubarak, others with meat, others with cake and biscuits.  Alhamdulillah, for the love between members of this Ummah.  We watched Saudi TV, and wished we were there again.  Until you see the crowds at the Jamaraats, then you think twice ;)

For the sisters, I decided to go with the silver/grey dress.  No Mehndi, am waiting to meet Umm Ibraheem for that ;)

All in all it was a quiet, blessed, peaceful day...filled with Takbeer, Duaa, visitors, and good food.

Ok, this was not much of a diary...but someone had to start!!!

Eid Mubarak, wa kull aam wa antum bikhair!
Salam
S. [hotpinkhijabi]

Jannah

[wlm]

Shahidah thanx for sharing!! Amazing how similar our Eids are even though we live across the world from each other hehe!

So actually on Saturday night I decided to have an Iftar for sisters at my house, since hopefully everyone was fasting. So I invited about 20 sisters from around the area and put up decorations and lights to get into that 'eid spirit'!! I'm sure our neighbors are confused because our lights go up for one day in October and one day in december ;) We watched our old fashion-show/eid gala/mehndi videos and exclaimed over how fat/thin/young everyone looked and I made strawberry cake which I will post below :D It was really nice but exhausting. Note to self: next party start doing stuff a few days ahead of time!

Then the next day I woke up at 5:45am, no mean feat considering I went to sleep at 3. Again missed that yelling at everyone to wake up in my house for Eid, running around, fighting over the bathrooms, hillarious tryin' to get Eidi from each other and our parents all the years past since most of my family is now overseas. So got ready, went with the old style white/gold gararah which was kind of complicated. Got out my long winter coat and headed out sooo late. I don't know why when I get up 2 hours early even it takes me forever. Of course, the car's gas was on E. So we pulled over and I got out in my gararah and put in some gas. Got some interesting stares. Then clocked it at 80 up the highway and across the river to our Eid prayer site which is an old university armory gym place.

Both our Imams were missing and quite a few people who went to Hajj. There was also another Eid prayer on the other side of our area and another Mosque had done Eid the day before. (the usual community divisions there) So there didn't seem to be too many people, very quiet. The khateeb talked about the story of Abraham and Hajer etc and at one point said, "LOOK AT HAJER, she went to find a second wife for her husband so he could have kids when he was old, WHAT WIFE WOULD DO THAT TODAY!!" and all the sisters section was like ??!! haha and I remembered the thread on the board.

Then we all went to IHOP this pancake place for brunch, but there were like 25 of us so we ended up having to be seated separately all over so it didn't feel much like Eid togetherness. Then I headed back home and tried to sleep for a few hours. In the evening some friends had an Eid party at their house so we went over and had a nice time. Got home about midnight and realized it was 2007!!! Ahlan wa sahlan, inshaAllah I pray this coming year is a good one full of khair for all of us. Ameen :)

lala marcy

assalaamu alaikum,

Eid mubarak and Happy new year to all. INshaAllah this year will be full of blessings and love for all....

This year I fasted the day before Eid. I never fasted that day before. I got up quite early and ate some fruit cake and a banana with some tea. Prayed and sat around for a bit, then fell back into a sleep. My sister and brother in law slept over so it was nice to see them in the AM.

The morning of Eid- I had a harder time waking up. I was the first in the shower though! I think as I get older, I'm becoming more and more of a morning person. Strange right?! We did Eid on Sunday- not at our regular masjid though. This morning my sis and brother in law and I drove to one a little further away from our home- to another side of the Bronx. We arrived about a half hour before the prayer which on a normal Eid day at our regular masjid would be obscenely late- and we'd have a hard time finding somewhere to sit. Howevever, this particular masjid was quite empty to my surprise. THe women prayed inside whereas they had this large tent set up outside for men.

Some old woman tried to befriend me- seems her regular Eids are spent with her daughter but this year was different - and therefore she was left to come to this masjid where she didnt know a soul. So the prayer happend- funny how no matter how often they go over EID prayer takbirs - people always mess it up. This time this place didnt have a tv feed- but from the direction of the kibla one can see outside...seems a lot of people were late to prayer and couldnt fit into the tent. They set up some tarpolin outside for them...oh well.

Anyhow, we prayed and sat back down for the khutbah. It was all in arabic- so I didnt understand a word:). We made our duas and then left. Seems some people have some grievances with the 'board' at this masjid and handed out some fliers about how badly managed the board is with the monies collected to build a larger masjid on that property and how the mismanagement has delayed the 'breaking of the ground' etc. Bothersome that they picked EID day to broadcast this message. OH well..what can you do.

Afterwards I went with my brother in law to kill a goat. I ended up with my sister in the car- waiting for a half hour. My brother returned smelling like the goat. I went to his parents house and ate some food then went back home - and ate again because my mom made some stuff. THe night before I baked some raspberry bars and chocolate chip cookies - so I had that with tea.

Last night I ended up a friends for new years reflection. All in all a lovely day. I got to hear from good friends; spend time with some; and enjoy the company of my family.

I hope all is well
with love and peace today and everyday!
wsalaam

timbuktu

[slm]

Eid-ud-Duha here was on Monday, January 1st. For much more than a decade, I haven't gone to buy sacrificial animals. Took my children for the buying once or twice, and after having bought the animals, the children were not allowed the treat of keeping them at home until slaughter. Once they  insisted they wanted goats at home, like all the other children. So I obtained a couple of handsome ones, brought up by someone in his village home. Such animals are the best ones. They enjoyed taking the goats for a walk, and feeding them. Finding a proper butcher is a headache, though. On that Eid, one goat was sacrificed properly, but the butcher who tended to the other one had a blunt knife, or wasn't able to use it correctly, so the cries of that goat put my children off getting sacrifice done at home.

I was back to sharing a cow/bull. Never sacrificed a camel.

Pakistan has been flooded with Afghan and Kashmiri muhajireen (refugees), the Jihad widows and orphans, and now the Earthquake effecteees. I now pay money to an honest organisation, and get the sacrifice done near their camps or villages, and the mustahiqeen (deserving) get the meat.

The night before Eid it dawned upon me that the Blessed 10 days of dhul-Hijjah are nearly gone, so I read up the posts and links by jannah and nuh for these days, and did some dhikr. I had been doing it, without realising that these are special days, although the jannah board carried the link in bold: "10 Blessed days of dhul-Hijjah".

I have been very lucky. Most of my needs and the tasks I do not like are taken care of. I find new clothes already bought, sewn and ironed, without even visiting the tailor. Food already cooked, and laid on the table. Dirty clothes and plates washed. House cleaned. Car is driven by my wife when I find it difficult to drive. I don't think anyone can be any luckier. The wife administers a hospital, and still does all this work at home, Masha`Allah. May Allah (swt) bless her, and make her my companion in Jannatul Firdaws, too.

All this may change, though. I have been served notice that after my retirement I am expected to do the house chores, and cook the mouth-watering foods I sometimes claim I am capable of doing. :) or :(

Morning of January 1st: as I wake up for Fajr, I feel cold. After Fajr, I wait a while; something is being said over the mike in the nearest masjid, but I can't make out what. Ears need a professional cleaning, or maybe I need a hearing aid. Go for my shower. My new clothes are already hanging outside the cupboard. It is cold, so I wear a couple of sweaters over a thick cotton vest and under the shirt. Every winter I receive compliments from people who think I have grown healthy, as my skinnily thin body is inflated by the clothes I wear. Got into the car, my car - Suzuki FX-800 cc 1984 model, the only car I can drive. Who else drives a 22-1/2 year old car? There are two other cars in the driveway, but I can't drive those. One of these carries my unutilised official quota of petrol in it, but I still cannot use it, for I cannot drive it.

I say the takbeer aloud, as I sit in the car, warming the engine. At 2 to 8 I drive to the nearest Masjid, saying the takbeer a few times. Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, La ilaha illAllah, wAllahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, wa lilLahi hamd. Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar Kabeera; wal hamdu lillahi katheera; wa Subhanallahi bukratanwwa aseela. The takbeer is important, but it has been missing in my environment during my adult life. I reflect on my childhood, and realise how knowledge is lost. Don't know what the next generation will do. They have not experienced what I have.

There was a time when I said the Eid prayers in open grounds, wih 12 extra takbeers. That was when I was with my father or brothers. The Eidgahs (Eid Grounds) I went to, had spaces for women too, partitioned from the men's with tarpaulin sheets.

Then I was on my own, and gradually I forgot even Eids. A friend would come, remind me of the day, and take me to a Masjid, or to Islamic Society meetings, or to Quran recitation for a departed soul, and that would be my total Islamic exposure in the West.

Then Allah sent me to Pakistan, in answer to my duas. General Ziaul Haq had taken over the country, overthrowing the drinking Prime Minister, Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto. Shaheed Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto, as People's Party adherents insist on calling him. Practicing Islam now met with official approval. The military and bureaucratic messes no longer served alcohol. Federal Secretaries and their subordinates placed prayer mats in their offices. Wuddu or no wuddu, people now prayed whenever a photo opportunity arose, or the President came visiting and it was time for prayer. There were scuffles to get into the first row on these occassions. Masajid were built everywhere. People flocked to them. Ulema and Mashaikh were treated with respect.

The USSR walked into Afghanistan, and Jihad began. Little by little, knowledge of Islam got back into the consciousness of society. Islamic terms were in vogue. On one application for loan, a Federal Secretary wrote, Qarze Hasna, loan without interest sanctioned. His definition of Qarze Hasna was a loan without interest.

In neigbouring Iran, the US stooge Shah was overthrown. Iranian students discovered the Tehran papers, on how the US controlled the Islamic countries, and who was in their pay. Tehran was the HeadQuarters of the CIA for the entire region. The US was worried. Islamabad became the CIA HQ. Baathist Iraq invaded Iran. The US placed young MS/PhD students in Pakistani Ministries and organisations. Instructions were issued to do what they desired. They experimented with us, and wrote their theses on controlling the Muslims. Then came bigger and bigger corruption, intolerance, ethnicism and sectarianism.

In this town, in the early years I went to Eid in open grounds in F-8, but it is cold outside, and now I go to the Masjid. Here I have'nt heard the takbeer aloud, except in the Eid khutba. It is almost as if people are ashamed to say it aloud. Somewhere people must exist who aren't shamed by saying the takbeer, but I do not have their company. Come to think of it, I haven't heard the Takbeer in Karachi either. Perhaps I move in different circles. Perhaps the seekers of affluence have forgotten this Sunnah. Perhaps they think Sunnah and affluence are incompatible, and they have made their choice. Perhaps the Sunnah exists among the not-so-well-to-do.

The wheel has come full circle. We now live in an age of Enlightened Moderation. The days of glorifying Jihad are over. Jihad is now a crime. It is another name for terrorrism. The days of simple living, too, are over. Having fun is what we have come into this world for: sing sing, sing; dance, dance, dance; enjoy, enjoy, enjoy; love, love, love. This isn't why I had wanted to leave the West. But Allah is without blame. It is us, including me. I who took it easy. I told myself I will become a practicing Muslim in slow doses. That was very wrong, or maybe my doses were too small. One could be taken away any time, and then what would be one's excuse. One is responsible for others, too - the wife, the children, the surrounding humanity. May Allah forgive us, and erase the harmful effect on those who have been touched by my laziness in this regard.

Moderate Islam is all about dancing, drinking, gyrating, flirting, mixing, wearing revealing clothes, and offering tributes to shrines and danda pirs. Fundamentalism is out. Sufism is in vogue.  To be on the path of the Salaf is to be a terrorist. Today a Muslim's greatest fear is of being called a Salafi/Wahhabi. Henceforth, Surah Anfal stands expunged from school and college syllabii.

Outside, the percentage of those below the poverty line has climbed to above 40%. The Ummah suffers like never before. There are Muslim refugees in many countries. AIDS has depopulated Africa.

Sub-Saharan Africa has gone Christian. Once-Muslim countries now have a high population of Christian converts. Muslims are becoming increasingly secular, and away from the Shariah. Kafir forces now have bases throughout the lands of Muslims. They bomb and kill Muslims with impunity, while Muslims prefer to engage in personal, ethnic, sectarian and tribal violence.

But what the heck; let us drink, dance, enjoy and sing of love. Let us watch TV soaps, sports, comics; let us listen to Geeta Bali; let us listen to all-time great songs of the past; let us gyrate with modern pop singers. Reading the Quran is out; listening to it is out; reading translation of the meanings and the tafaseer is out. Understanding what Islam requires from us may make us want to practice it, and that won't do in this age of enlightened moderation, which is to embrace modern culture and what is forbidden, yet to go on claiming that we are Muslim. Never mind that the culture we are embracing is Satanic; that it is a repeat of Jahilliyya. Sing, Dance, Enjoy, Drink and Love!

Sing, Dance, Enjoy, Drink and Love! Should we need any spiritual upliftment, make an offering to departed souls, or to semi-naked holy men; or sing shirkiya songs.

So all through Eid day and night, many Pakistani Muslims turn to that spiritual uplifter of all, the TV, and watch an Indian movie with dancing, singing and offerings to Idols. The younger ones prefer American singing and dancing.

Like niece Shahida above, I had neglected to find out the timings of the Eid prayer. When I reached the masjid, there were very few people, only one or two cars. Enough space to reverse the car and park it in a ready to depart mode just outside the main gate of masjid. At the gate I ask someone what the time the Eid prayer is, and he answers "8:30". I enter the main prayer hall and settle down with my back to the wall. Hopefully I will be protected from draughts. I feel cold. There are gas heaters on the wall. Far too few of them. I realise my easy parking isn't a blessing. Geting out will be difficult because of the rush. Decide I will wait, if need be.

The Maulvi Saheb is telling us about the story behind this Eid - the story of the ultimate sacrifice, of Ibraheem and Ismaeel (alehimus Salaam). This is a Masjid headed by a Barelvi, but I have found that some of the Barelvi maulvis are fairly versed in Hadith, and often there is nothing controversial in their sermons. Only in these masajid, after the fard prayers, most people recite Salat-o-Salaam on the Prophet [saw] aloud a few times. The Sunnah is to say Allahu Akbar aloud once, followed by Asghfirullah three times.

Someone comes and sits next to me. He is a neighbour, a dentist who lives in the same street.

It is a good lecture. Near the end, the Maulvi Saheb tells us about the six extra takbeers in the Eid prayers (this is according to Hanafi Fiqh) - three in the first rakah, before Surah Fatiha, three in the second rakah, after Surah Fatiha and some Quran. It has been a long time when I offered 12 takbeers. Not too far away, three to four kilometers at most, there would be prayers in the open ground, with 12 takbeers. I said the prayers there once. Maybe next Eid, I will find out the timings, and say the prayers there, insha`Allah. The Maulvi Saheb also tells us about the Eid khutba being after the prayers, and other differences between Jumma` and Eid prayers.

The prayers are over, well executed. I turn to my neighbour; we exchange greetings, and embrace three times. Is it a cultural thing? Then his young teenage son comes over. Same with him.

Greetings to some more. Then I turn to leave. Meet another neighbour on my way out. I see that there are many people trying to go out the Main door. I look to the other side of the masjid, and there aren't all that many people there. I reckon if I go over there, and walk along the perimeter of the masjid to my car, it will be easier. I do that, and it is amazing. I am in the car. I start it, and wait for a couple of cars to pass before I take mine on the road. With a little honking, people give way, and I turn a different route, as per sunnah. I am back in the house.

Usually on Eids we wait for my sister to come around. This time she has gone to Karachi with her husband and son. So we take our breakfast. In my childhood we waited for the sacrifice first, and broke our fast with the liver of the sacrificed animal. My sacrifice is not here, and I am feeling hungry. The wife has just put down hot cholay, and dahi baras. I partake of them. adding a lot of masala, sliced onion and green chillies. Then since my mouth is on fire, I take some candy, Then some tea.

In Islamabad, particularly in the E and F-sectors, neighbourly contact is minimal. Hence most Eids we go around the street to greet people on their gates. That provides us two opportunities every year to see some of our neighbours. But this time, no one comes round, and I feel too cold to start it on my own. Outside the sun is shining, but perhaps there is a cold breeze, or it is just me.

There is a phone call from my samdhi (FiL of one's son or daughter. Only my son is married, so it is my son's FiL. The daughter is same age as JO). The samdhis will be coming. I interpret his words to mean they will come soon. My wife and daughter want to know the exact words, which I have forgotten, because they think the samdhis won't come so soon. I want to sleep, but cannot change into non-Eid clothes now.

I read some Islamic literature. Then go to my son's room to use his computer. Open some sites. My wife comes along. We ring our son and DiL. Wish them happy Eid. Did the same when UAE celebrated Eid. Formatted some of my dua posts on my Islamic blog, and reposted them. I hope people have benefited from these. There are interruptions by people ringing the bell. Someone wants me to collect sacrificed animals hides. Some come to give us a packet of meat from their sacrificed goat.

People here respect me, maybe my age, maybe the white beard (not much of a beard, but still recognisable as one), maybe the pseudo-Islamic talk, whatever. It feels nice to be respected.

More bell-ringing. Any sacrificial meat? None. We don't do Qurbani here, and hence no meat to give away. On Sunday two young girls and their even younger brother came asking for roti (bread). There was no bread in the house. I told them there isn't any. Then I thought of something. We had two bananas and some apples. I gave them these. Then I started thinking. These were Afghan or Pathan.

Why is there so much poverty that people have to ask for something as essential as bread? Why don't these children attend school? On each traffic signal and in every market, one is beseiged by young and old, male and female, begging. In the masajid, after Jumm3a and Eid prayers, there are beggars.

Some say these are professioanl beggars, but as my story "it was a monsoon Friday" demonstrated, not all are. Where does the Zakat go?

Back to Eid day. Time for Zuhr prayers, then lunch. Biryani! I eat the green chillies and some achar (pickles) with it; again the burning of the mouth; again candy as an antidote. Then the Zuhr prayers.

The wait for the samdhis has been too long. I am tired and in need of a lie down. Finally, at 3 pm I decide to change and have a rest. Just when I do so, comes the doorbell ring. Surely, the samdhis are here. After embraces at the gate, I bring them into the drawing room. Why do we call it the drawing room? Then I excuse myself and change again into Eid clothes. It is time for asr, but the small talk continues, and as I sense it is now 4:30, I excuse myself again, and go say the prayers.

They are now ready to go. 5:10 is Maghrib time. Then I try the net, and it is dead. The ISP doesn't answer the phone.

More biryani at 8:30 pm, then Isha`, and after some reading of Islamic literature, I eventually fall to sleep.

correction: I wrote:
QuoteIt is almost as if people are ashamed to say it aloud
. Actually people do say it audibly, but three times after prayers, not while going for the Eid prayers. Perhaps in their Fiqh, but the people who follow the Quran and hadith, have also by and large abandoned this Sunnah.

Wafa

[slm] EID MUBARAK...

My community celebrated Eid on Saturday Dec 30. My mom, cousin, and I had spent the night before cleaning the house up and cooking for the next day, so when my father woke me up Saturday morning I was a bit sleepy. But I did manage to shower, and get ready before everyone else! Total record for me :)

I prayed, and sat around waiting for everyone else to get ready. Then I looked out the window and discovered that it was snowing. I thought it was a bit ironic that the Christians that wanted a White Christmas didn't get one, but Muslim Ottawans got a White Eid. [moroccan] Bugger. So my poor father ended up having to clean off all the snow from the car and shovel the garage. Everyone got in the car and we managed to get to the masjid long before the 8:30 prayer started.

I insisted on my father giving me the car keys, because I am always ALWAYS the first one of my family out of the masjid after Eid prayer, and I usually get stuck waiting by the car in the cold. My mom and cousin wisely take their shoes with them to the almost secret side door, but I (stupidly) leave my shoes in the front, where all the other sisters do.

I sat with my cousin, waiting for prayer to start, and occasionally murmering the takbir along with the Imam. I had a hard time paying attention, because of all the little children so nicely dressed and excited sitting with their mothers. I ended up thinking about my childhood and how fun Eid was for me then. *sigh* To be a child again.

We prayed...and unlike everyone else I did not notice anyone having troubles with the Eid prayer, except the children of course. Anywhoo, prayer ended and quite a few sisters got up to leave before the khutba. Which I think must have distracted those who were listening to the arabic part of the khutba. Eventually I got up also to wait in line for my shoes. [/b]Then it happened. Year after year...there is this problem in the sisters section after Eid prayer. I don't know if it's just my community, but it drives me mad to no end. It seems that it doesn't matter where you pray, but there's is always major crowding at the doors. In this particular masjid the door for the sisters is small, and hardly enough for half of the sisters trying to leave, let alone the sisters trying to get in to pray the second prayer.

Basically everyone gets squashed in between eachother, and there's plenty of pushing and sisters getting irratated, and snappy. On a happy note I end up seeing a couple of sisters I do know, and extend my salams and Eid Mubaraks to them.

Keep in mind this enitre time the Imam is saying the english portion of the khutba. Which is a reminder that Muslims character and behaviour should be pleasent and is a form of dawaa. Meanwhile, some sisters are really getting into the whole push and shove game near the doors. A friend and I get shoved to one side, and share a silent laugh, thanking God we're both so tiny. We manage to slip in between people and get our shoes, and get out.

This whole time, I've got the car keys and my poor family had to wait by the car...in the snow, wet and cold. They were't too pleased with me, but what can you do...

Anyways, we all get home, and have a traditional Eritrean breakfast. My father and brother in law go to a farm and sacrifice a lamb. The women in my family stay home and get lunch ready, greet guests etc.

That night, more and more guests come and I am again reminded why Eid is always funnest when your a kid. Recieving gifts, and not having to serve and clean up after said guests...although I like helping my mother out.

Finally everyone leaves and my family sits down to watch some arab television, and we find out Saddam has been hanged...we're all horrified, and totally disgusted.

I go to bed worrying yet again about the state of the Muslim Ummah. And praying the backlash for this latest pathetic act isn't too terrible.

And that was my Eid...sounds pretty boring I know, but I ended having lots of fun for the rest of the weekend :-*

Salam*
~*Covering one's body demands attention to the mind*~

Sr.Kathy

As salaamua alaykum

Eid Mubarak! We celebrated Eid on Sunday, too. As in Jannah's community, we have some division and it was apparent that one ethnic group must of prayed on Saturday, because many were missing from Sunday's prayer.  It is too bad tho. I feel bad for the kids of that 'other' group. I talked to one of the mom's last night and she didn't see the importance of praying together as a community. However, her kids missed out on the activities the Muslims were participating in. Unusually, I did not express my concerns about this to her and wished her Eid Saeed.

Golly tho, what are parents in the US thinking? Expessially those who do not have a large support system of Muslims. What is Eid to their kids? Last year many sent their kids back to school after prayers. To our children Islam is a religion of no's. So when we can have fun and make occasions special, why aren't parents bending over backward to make our Islamic holidays special?

I want to make Eid special for my son. The Hajj season started early this year for me...day after Thanksgiving! We set up a display at the museum about the Hajj. Mashallah a sis painted an incredible scene all about Muslims coming from all over the world. We also include a mountain for Arafat with many Hajjis on it, Saiy- with little hillocks and a fountain for Zam Zam, the Kaba, Hateem and Maqam Ibrahim of course and a Jamarat. We also include  murals of the masjid and tents at Mina and a sunset for Arafat. A couple of mannequins dressed in his and her Ihram outfits with other fillers and placards describing each station in an Interfaith setting. It is our first Hajj scene and I wonder what the secular crowds will think of it  as it is among the Christmas trees from all over the world.

Closer to Eid Ali sees me the week before preparing cookies, clothes and decorating the house with Hajj stuff. It is a build up! When the first 10 days start, we start by giving some charity and i take him with me so he actually sees it being done and not just heard of. Then every day a pilgrimage rite is added to our decorations.  I then take him to a toy store and have him show us some things he might like. So we mix in religious teachings with the excitement a little kid would like!

We string the livingroom with lights and put a Kaba in our window.  So in our house the lights are on for the ten days includung the three days of Tashreeq.  I also did not send Ali to school yesterday. We were still in the three days.. so Islamically...he got a perk! i am hoping all these subtle ways of honoring our holiday will  keep it special for him.

The night before Eid prayer, the moment sundown hit we went to a restaurant and on the way said our Takbirs! This also instilled in Ali that we start our holidays glorifying Allah and not by opening presents.  The kid just loves yelling out Takbir or Allahu Akbar! The fanooses get lit and then we let him open up some presents... clothes he needs and a video.

Eid morning I get up real early and light the lights and enjoy a cup of coffee all by myself before the house awakens. As any mother knows, this will be the last calming moment of the day. I thank Allah swt that i am so organized this year and do not have to rush.

We get to the masjid early and I just sit in the musella listening, reciting the takbirs of Eid.  Few people come early, so again, I am blessed with a peaceful moment. I begin to notice those who tap me on the shoulder from behind to give salams and worse yet those who didn't and ask Allah swt to help me mend these relationships.

The khutba seemed to be a repeat of an excellant one from years before. Alhumdullillah, it is just as good the second time. This time however, the Imam talks about building Islamic environments for the children. For the first time in a long long time, I seem to be in my own world and not notice what every sis is wearing, Masha Allah.

I get a tap on my shoulder and I look up to see who it was. It was a sis whoes family tradionally celebrates Eid with the other group on the previous day.  Actually I am happy to see her because she is alone, but brought her grandchildren with her.  She had always said Eid was such a let down for her children. I always felt it was because they did not pray with us and she was not a Muslim then. It tickled me pink to see her there. Prayers end with a beautiful dua and I throw in a few good old standbys of my own with the addition of asking Allah swt to make me a good teacher to the class I am taking over in a couple of weeks.

After prayers the day takes off like a party! First the entire masjid joins together in a potluck breakfast. Secretly, I thank Allah swt for the Turkish and Bosnians sisters food, as even to this day I can not handle the desi spices. The library is filled with salamers and excitement is growing because for the first time ever, there will be a carnival for the kids.

I have to duck out early to set up my station at the carnival. The new Islamic School was hosting it to advertise and have an open house at the same time.  I am in charge of the lolli pop date tree and the lucky duck oasis pond! I rig the items so that almost everyone is a winner! Hey.. it is Eid! For the first time I am not in charge! What a great greaaat feeling it was to tell people with problems and concerns to go see someone else! A couple of sisters did not like the pin the hat on the Imam...so we changed it to pin the minaret on the masjid! The Imam had no problem with it, but might as well put out any fires when you see smoke!

Let me tell you, there is nothing better in the world then to see over a hundred kids smiling, playing  and winning! Because everyone was a winner, I had to supply my own prizes. It was worth the cost in gold! Side note: I collected new/ nearly new stuffies from my family and Ali's stash. Kids went wild over them and I was out with in the first hour! It is a good way parents to get rid of these kind of things! I was so greatful i bout other dollar store trinkets! Alhumdullillah!!

Meanwhile, parents stopped by and gave kudos about the school. I was a bit pleased that they recognized my hard work. Allah who Allum, every community has the few muslims who are negative about everything. As they approached, my smile brightened preparing myself for some complaint. Alhumdullillah, even these seasoned naysayers had only good things to say about the school!

I watch my son, who is at the duck pond. I ask Allah swt to remind me of this scene on days I am soooo mad at him. He is so good with the kids, taking their tickets, helping them in the pond and helping them with choosing a prize.  alhumdullillah, he might have potential! After a couple of hours he asks if he can join the other kids and I get a stab of guilt.. he is a kid too! May Allah swt reward him for not complaining once.

As I was loading the carnival left overs into my car, I noticed a bro looking a bit nervous and pacing near.  He asked me if i knew any sisters who are looking for a husband. Inwardly I chuckled, thinking perhaps he saw all the families and kids inside and wanted the same happiness. May Allah swt give him someone good. I told him there were many in our community and to send me a 'bio' and his expectations.

After the carnival. the momma needed a nap! Must be getting older, because I have never needed one and taken one. Before i drift off to sleep I think about the single people who are alone and feel bad I did not include them with my family. I then realize it would have been difficult to and think about my single days and finally understand why... I start to reflect on the past year the trials and tribulations and then how they were mercys and blessings after all and drift off to sleep.

Masha Allah the night culminates to a catered meal at the masjid. It is all spicy food and I figure I will get  something at a fst food joint afterwards.  We went down main street and everything is closed... then remember it is NYers Eve and  everything is closed! I go home, find somethng in the fridge, sit with Ali and welcome the new Gregorian year.

We ask Allah swt to forgive us, make us better people, pray and go to bed.
"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon

aquamarine

We celebrated Eid on Saturday the 30th, going according to our local mosque and therefore Saudi Arabia.

The morning was, as usual, chaotic. Brothers and sisters (we have a big family!) flying all over the place, yelling for someone to hurry up in the bathroom, little ones crying over the colour of their henna, presents being exchanged (my little brother nicked my watch, wrapped it up in newspaper and gave it to my little sister as a present! Sweet, but I had a hell of a time getting it back! And had to buy an extra pressie for her to make up for it! The little ones drive a hard deal....), a bickering queue for the ironing table, bargains and swaps being made over hijabs, tantrums over having breakfast.....and on and on and on. Alhamdulillah, we managed to leave the house without killing each other and made it to the mosque, where we found that the women's area was completely full, so we prayed on the steps (they were pretty wide!).

Back home after the prayer, we all tidied the house top to bottom, and put up tons of decorations reciting the takbeer together while doing so (I think this was my favourite part in the whole day! There is nothing as heart-warming as reciting Allah's praises in unison with others, especially family.)

Friends started dropping by soon with sweets and cakes, so I was kept pretty much on my feet, helping with the samosas and pakoras and the making of the tea and so on. In the evening we visited some family friends who couldn't come over and had lots of fun. Called up our relatives back home, and spoke to my grandparents. They celebrated Eid on the 1st I think.

Finding out about Saddam's hanging, was an ugly stain on our day. Why, out of all days, did they choose this one, anyway?

Aside from that, Eid was pretty much perfect, if a tiny bit boring.

A belated Eid Mubarak!  :-*

M.F.

Assalamu alaikum
Well my Eid was by far the most festive I've had in a few years.  We don't really have an Eid tradition in my family, other than the prayer and the sacrifice, but now that we have kids we realize we have to do SOMEthing for them. 
So we drove down to Marrakech where my parents live.  They live in town but they have a farmhouse about 40 minutes away.
We knew Marrakech would be teeming at this time of year, it's a top New Year's destination for both Moroccans and foreigners alike.  Yup, Eid fell on NYer's eve, and it felt a little strange shopping for the gifts and decorations.  I kept wanting to tell everyone, these are for Eid, not for Xmas or New Year's.  It seems that the whole christmas tree thing is catching on, minus the gifts underneath, (some) moroccans exchange gifts at New Year's though.
Sure enough in Marrakech it was standing room only. We barely made Eid prayer beceause they actually prayed on time this time. The only problem was we didn't know what time it would be!!  We returned home for a simple breakfast of cream of wheat, and then drove out to the farmhouse.  "The farm" as we call it, was a big part of my childhood weekends (I hated it), but now there's electricity and a state of the art kitchen!
We actually hung decorations and blinking lights!
My sister had prepared marinated chicken and rice, and my friend who came down with her family had made carrot cake (with the cream cheese frosting  :o), cheesecake (the real thing, not the lowfat hi-protein stuff my mom raised us believing was cheesecake  :D) and brownies.  I made pumpkin pie and double chocolate chip cookies. That and a huge salad, plus amazing dip, was our Eid lunch.   It felt great to get everything ready and make sure everyone was happy.  Somehow the job of skewering the liver got delegated to me.  The main thing was the kids were having a BLAST (7 under 5, including the baby) and were amazingly undemanding (except the baby who had to be held pretty almost constantly, except when asleep).
Before lunch the kids got to unwrap their eid gifts, which we tried to make gender-appropriate of course, down to the wrapping paper, because the girls are very girly girls and the boys are, well, boys.
The only downside is some of the kids were sick, so by the time we all got back to our homes everyone was sick.  Oh well, we really had a good Eid.