Main Menu

Hijabi Fashion ;)

Started by Jannah, July 17, 2007, 04:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jannah

salam,

Ok so I thought we could post some fashion that we can actually wear outside!

But first... I thought this was quite hillarious and if you ever go to shaam TOTALLY TRU this is what u'll see:

Jannah

some hijabi eshtyle

Jannah

obviously these are models and stylized pictures but u get the idea...

Jannah

mo'

Jannah

mo ii

Jannah

and how do u do all those fancy styles??

Surah_93

Wa Alaikum Asalaam Wa Rahmatullah Wa Barakatuh

Wow...much different than my favorite black shayla.  [hijabisis]

I just saw a business card for a hijab stylist who fixes hijabs just like those pictures for a living. I can see the phrase "getting my hijab done" catching on pretty soon around here.
Ubay Ibn Kaab: Have you walked through a path with thorns?
Umar Bin Khattab: "Yes, indeed."
Ubay: "What did you do?"
Umar: "I tucked up (my garment) and did my best (to avoid thorns)"
Ubay said: "That is Taqwa."

Jannah

wow surah that's crazy!!

ahhh was bored today heres some more...

Jannah

mo'

Jannah

mo

Jannah

Young designer mixes faith and fashion in her lines

By Kristen V. Brown

The walls of Sarah Musa's cramped, two-bedroom Bleecker St. apartment are covered in clothing sketches and fabric samples, but her roommate doesn't mind. She's a fan of Musa's three-year-old clothing business, Haya, Arabic for "modesty," which is headquartered here. Haya is a line of conservative-yet-fun clothing Musa designed with young Muslim women like her roommate in mind.

"People think that if you cover your head, it is hard to be fashionable, which is something I am trying to change," Musa says.

In two years, she's done just that. Last year, Haya averaged 70 Web-based sales a month, domestically and from countries including Australia and South Africa.

During a recent visit, Musa showed off a surprisingly daring set of geisha-inspired swimsuit sketches, one featuring a rich, sand-colored triangular top in a fan shape.

"I sketch everything I think of," she says, not always to be made, but to download her prolific imagination. "When I wake up, I sketch like crazy," she says, "trying to draw everything that I dreamed about."

Musa says she's been a fashion enthusiast ever since her parents, who owned a variety of shops and restaurants in Ohio, let her choose her clothing. In middle school, she began rummaging through thrift stores and her parents' closet, and learning to sew some of her own clothing from scratch by simply measuring herself and drawing patterns directly onto fabric — "which is totally not the right way!" she notes. She hadn't yet begun observing Islam's conservative dress traditions. "I would wear things like my dad's pants from the '60s!" she laughs.

At 16, Musa embraced her father's religion by starting to really consider what it meant to her to be a Muslim and reflecting on her own spirituality. That's when, she explains, wearing the hijab, or headscarf, became important to her spiritually. Her interest in the scarf and her longer skirts as spiritual symbols seemed at first to clash with her passion for fashion.

"Becoming religious was like an identity crisis for me," she says. "I had these two loves, religion and fashion, and I didn't really know how I could make the two of them work together."

There wasn't much of a variety of fun, conservative clothing, so Musa had to start sewing her own. At first her pieces were simple, poorly made skirts and dresses, but she soon began to expand, making her own patterns and crafting original designs, like nicely tailored dresses and jackets.

Slowly, she realized Islamic fashion could become more than just a hobby.

She wasn't completely convinced it was a viable career, so when she went to Ohio State University, she studied human development and family sciences, thinking she'd be a teacher. Musa started Haya her senior year, and the momentum built quickly. Right away, with help of her father's funding, she hired a full-time staff, with some serious business plans in mind. She rented a space, started a Web site and within months Haya was thriving.

Now 23, Musa, a fair-skinned, half-Palestinian, half-Korean beauty with piercing brown eyes, is in her first year studying patternmaking at the Fashion Institute of Technology. She's pursuing an associate's degree in patternmaking and a degree in fashion merchandising, and interning at the fashion houses of Carolina Herrera and Anna Sui. For now, Musa is running Haya in her spare time. She's not designing anything new, only selling her inventory of 14 or 15 styles warehoused in New Jersey.

Musa says her co-workers at both Anna Sui and Herrera were surprised that a hijab-wearing Muslim girl is so successful. And Musa is surprised by her success, too.

"The more I learn about the process of designing, making and marketing clothing, the more difficult this whole process of owning a business and being a fashion designer seems!" she says. "But I didn't have the sense that starting my own company was impossible because my parents are both small-business owners."

Next up for Musa is a new clothing line, Inaya, "to care" in Arabic, that she expects to launch when she graduates from F.I.T. next year. While Haya offers simple, neutral-toned basic pieces that are a more modern take on abiyyas, traditional Arab dresses or skirt-and-dress sets, Inaya will be younger, hipper and more urban, with brighter colors and trendier, more daring items of more complex design and fabric.

Her recent student work gives a hint of what's to come: It's colorful, inspired by fall leaves and Asian culture, in rich fabrics and textures, including silk brocades and schoolgirl plaids.

"My clothing for Haya is hip," she says, "but very basic. What I envision for Inaya is much more Urban Outfitters, designed for girls like me who would like to shop there but have trouble finding anything they can wear comfortably." After a women's line, Inaya will come out with maternity wear and then children's clothing, Musa says, hopefully with financial support from her family and many fans of the line.

While Haya and Inaya sprang from a need Musa saw for religious Muslim women to have better-looking clothing options, she wants people to know her clothing isn't only for Muslims.

"My clothing is for everyone: Christian, Jews, atheists, it doesn't matter what you are. I just want to create clothing that has a little more of a conscience."

Faizah

As salaamu alaikum

I bought a book that shows how to create a lot of different styles.  While most look great and something I'd wear, it looks like way too much effort and doesn't it defeat the purpose to spend that much time in the mirror "fussing" over how one's scarf is styled?  Still I think it might be fun to have a sisters' day and spend time trying some of them out.

As salaamu alaikum

Duaa

The kids in hijab are SO cute!!! Masha'Allah.
I'm happy to see wedding dresses too.  Alhamdullah, there are more options now for Muslim brides in the west.  Just a few years ago, a lot of people had to trust their relatives from back home to send them something desirable for their weddings or have their moms put together someting for them.  Those wedding styles are beautiful, modest, and professionally made.  [msh]

Cherish_Islam

[mashallahsister] [mashallahsister] [mashallahsister] [sis] [hotpinkhijabi] [hijabisis]......................OMG...dis is...its GR8T...bt dere is 1 baaad side..(its ATTRACTIVE)...leading to sexual desire from men..den wt is da POINT..a woman cn wear anyhthing sr wants..at home..with her man...den wt is da point of being colourfull n powerfull 2wards men..is tat really what  [allh] wants Us woaman 2 wear?????think about it..b4 u sort of...brain wash us youngeronez..who r trying 2 overcome TEENAGE HOOD..bt yet..following da life as Muslimah..not a MODEL! [wlm]
(F)

nouha

Quote from: Cherish_Islam on July 31, 2007, 08:51:14 PM
[mashallahsister] [mashallahsister] [mashallahsister] [sis] [hotpinkhijabi] [hijabisis]......................OMG...dis is...its GR8T...bt dere is 1 baaad side..(its ATTRACTIVE)...leading to sexual desire from men..den wt is da POINT..a woman cn wear anyhthing sr wants..at home..with her man...den wt is da point of being colourfull n powerfull 2wards men..is tat really what  [allh] wants Us woaman 2 wear?????think about it..b4 u sort of...brain wash us youngeronez..who r trying 2 overcome TEENAGE HOOD..bt yet..following da life as Muslimah..not a MODEL! [wlm]

please speak proper english :)

Siham

As-Salaamu`alaykum,

Dear Sr. Cherish_Islam,

I completely understand your point, but everyone is at a different state (spiritually) so please pray for us insha`Allah.

And masha`Allah your English is very clear to all of us!!!

Jazak`Allah Khayr for sharing your thoughts dear:)

Take care,

W`salaams.
"You talk about loving God while you disobey Him; I swear by my life that this is something very strange. If you were truthful in your love, you would obey Him, for a lover obeys whom he loves." (Rabi`a al-Adawiyya)

Jannah

More...

i'm sure u'll enjoy the first one cherish ;)

but seriously there's all kinds of hijab styles. if you believe that black burqas are the only authentic sunnah then thats fine. it's best you don't look at this thread then. wsalam

Jannah

Some more...

maryam

Salaam,truly they might be attractive but following the right Islamic rules they are TOO attractive,a female has more features that makes her attractive,wearing those is'nt so good Islamically.

Jannah

wsalam,

we seem to have this argument every year/every time someone posts anything. i suggest those that are against hijabi fashion not to click on this thread, indeed, no one is forcing you to. and again this is not an islamic state so no one needs to 'enjoin the good and forbid the evil' according to their opinions.

jazaks

Jannah

ws,

so at isna this year they had this like mini-boutique of clothes from PARIS!! and all the clothes were LONG and HALAL and SOOOO BEAUTIFUL... all the workers spoke french and were oh so nice. if i was rich i'd buy one of everything and just wear that as my wardrobe forever sigh.

the website doesn't have the same clothes as they brought :( :( but check it out anyways: http://www.saouli.eu maybe u can check them out next convention!! (aka SAVE YO MONAY now)

Fozia

[slm]

That second pic is scary Sr. Jannah, and those sleeves tres impractical.

Am off to shop now tho, hey there's a thought if I love the clothes and the shop's in paris I could go there on a saturday or something....woohoo there are advantages to living in London after all.

Wassalaam

Faizah

As salaamu alaikum

Okay, I admit I've seen some really beautiful (or should that be beeeeeuuuuttttiiiiiifulllll) stuff between online "window shopping" and magazines and have to restrain myself with buying, unless there's a sale since finding things that fit me the way I want them to is so not easy.  Not because I think they are toooo pretty (no such thing) but rather, too pricey for my wallet, too impractical for work, but I admit I've bought the occassional "gotta have it" pretty, glittery item and then said "why did I buy this" or "just where did I think I was going wearing this", not to mention colors that I know I shouldn't wear because it would be my luck to spill coffee on it, step in mud, need to add toner to the copier or printer at work or lean against the car when it's wet and dirty.

I like these pictures, but think I'll pass on the first one, not really feeling the flowers.

Now if I could only get my daughter to go into the shops in Brooklyn for me........ but she won't; her excuse "your taste is different than mine", so lame, she could always call me and describe what she sees and I can say yes or no; guess I have to take the day trip myself.

Fa'izah

Jannah

Quote from: Fozia on September 10, 2007, 10:15:29 AMand those sleeves tres impractical.
lol, they're called Farasha (butterfly) style jilbabs. they look like you could fly away in them huh ;)

Quote from: Faizah on September 28, 2007, 12:20:27 AM
impractical

"gotta have it" pretty, glittery item

come on you guys~! you haven't gotten too old yet...!! fashion is fun and young and impractical and cute and whatever...and you always take it and modify it to your own taste and style!

yasmia

As salaamu alaikum, Sister Fa'izah,

I'm copying what you said below in case your memory is like mine on this rainy day.  :) Could you tell me where the shops are in Brooklyn? I'm going to be traveling to NYC in November, and I need to find a place that sells halal clothing. There's nowhere around me that does.

Thanks!

Yasmia

Quote from: Faizah on September 28, 2007, 12:20:27 AM
As salaamu alaikum

Now if I could only get my daughter to go into the shops in Brooklyn for me........ but she won't; her excuse "your taste is different than mine", so lame, she could always call me and describe what she sees and I can say yes or no; guess I have to take the day trip myself.

Fa'izah

vethreed

Hello!
I'm at the forum to get first hand info about Islam, in more important aspects than fashion, certainly, but I have to begin asking at some point, dont I? ;)

Aren't you supposed to wear all that stuff to neutralize the alleged lust of men?
To manifest your modesty?
Am I wrong about this?
Thanks in advance for your answers.

vethreed

Jannah

Hi,

Being modest doesn't mean you have to wear a black garbage bag over your head. Sure some of these pictures are over the top, but that's fashion. Ever seen pictures of runway couture wear? You don't see women walking around wearing that stuff on the street do you? But they take aspects of that, and that's fashion.

rahma

AA

Jannah,

Can you translate the Arabic in the cartoon above.  The humor is kinda obvious, but I would like to know what they say.

Thanx.

Jannah

Here's some interesting looks from a magazine and some kind of display in the Neitherlands:

nouha

Quote from: rahma on October 25, 2007, 03:54:17 PM

Can you translate the Arabic in the cartoon above.  The humor is kinda obvious, but I would like to know what they say.

the hijabi with the mini skirt is saying that she started wearing hijab for ramadan

the guy in the background is saying "oh Allah, im fasting"