Main Menu

Albanyia EATING OUT Restaurant Reviews

Started by Jannah, October 31, 2006, 10:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jannah

Ok we'll keep this document updated inshaAllah.

[] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []

• Shalimar (albany) --- yummy cheese naan

• Ghandi (albany) --- not bad desi food

• Hoosick Pizza (troy) --- gyros, mozarella sticks, cheesesteak and torpoedos good, pizza not so good

• I Love NY Pizzeria (troy) --- good shrimp pizza

• Red Lobster (colonie) --- $$ and apparently it's all haram

• Shalimar (troy) --- closed due to stabbing!? :o

• Little Italy Pizzeria & Deli (albany) --- awesome fried chicken, need to support the sister

• Curry India (albany) --- ok desi food

• Ali Baba (troy) --- awesome turkish food, and they have the big bread thing, good durums and eggplant salad

• Macaroni Grill (colonie) --- ugh they'll put pork on your food deliberately, horrible service just please don't. racist too.

• Thai place on Lark (albany) -- yummm cashew something

• Bombers on Lark (albany) -- NEVER go at night unless ur looking to go to a college bar scene. Daytime nice and good burritos and nachos

• Friendlys (latham, albany, troy) ---  they all good tuna melt and brownie sundae dessert yumm

• Cheesecake Factory (colonie) --- YUMMMmmmmmmmmmm check if ur food is haram tho first, u can also call in the morning and ask them to make halal shrimp bistro iA

• that Steak grill place (colonie) ---- internet rumors about halal lamb or something but friend from nyc went there and she could only eat some bad seafood

• Chinese/Japanese place up Hoosick (troy) --- niiiiice ambience... food ok

• Ichibahn (sp?) (albany) --- good sushi if u like that

• Anatolia  (ravena??) --- white place masquerading as lebanese, expensive and caters to strange ppls

• that place in PC plaza in delmar (delmar) --- authentic arab christian, really small nice ambience, dunno if still open, expensive

• place faraz took us once downtown albany (albany) --- $$$ but good food

• Pizzeria Uno's (latham) --- $ but deep dish pizza mmm

• Latham Biryani (latham) --- pretty good desi food, lunch specials are good u can try everything

• Outback (colonie) --- many ppl have eaten the lamb based upon letters on the internet from outback (check zabihah.com for more info), very $$$$ though

(i got all the downtown albany places covered will add them later)

ok so u guys add some stuff... help me out with the names i can't remember all the names....

then we'll add stars, addresses, and more info inshaAllah and we can turn it into an html document for an albanyia site or make a little guide and print it out for new folks...

i know we ate at way more places than that.

sugarqueen

You forgot to add that the waiters at macaroni grill are RACIST! hahaha ( no they are though)

Jannah

ahhh yeah good point, ok i added it.

Walaikum salaam warahmatullah wabarakatuhu,

se7en

as salaamu alaykum,

awwwwww man i miss all this good food  :(

u forgot to mention Hoosick's slammin mozzeralla sticks...mmm...  :P

and pizzeria uno... i miss deep dish pizza... they didn't have it in tx either :(

oh well, when I come back to visit, we're going to have to hit up *a lot* of restaurants insha'Allah okay  :) :D

Jannah

wsalam,

se7en i keep dreaming of all the good food and restaurants where you're at... i miss my lahm and would u believe i miss those veggie shwarmas!!

Jannah

Torino's Pizza & Pasta
952 Troy-Schenectady Road
(Peter Harris Plaza)
783-9200
10 to 10pm

Description: This is ostensibly a pizza place run by Afghani's, but lately they've been wanting to convert it to an Afghani restaurant so they're starting to concentrate more on that. Very clean, well lighted, big place.

Average price for dinner+drink:
$11.95

What do they have?: Usual pizza parlor stuff, you might be able to get zabiha meat on top. Afghani food they have are various kabob entrees like lamb/beef tikka kabob, chicken kabob, kofta kabob, etc.

Food review: All I gotta say is yummm... that afghani rice and kebabs mmm, we had the lamb kebab and it was great. The bread wasn't good (not fresh?) but the rest was awesome.

owais

siddiqui

Al-Baraki $

A small Christian Leabnese place on river street troy (opposite the parking lot)

the meat is not zabiha but the veggies are a good try

Paul makes good filafils/moujadara/ hummus and babagonnoush

Jannah

salam,

siddiqui are u talking about that place where if u go down hoosick and take a right on that route something and u keep on going like way down like 2-3 miles it's there???

but it's not called al-barakis forgot the name...

siddiqui

No , Albaraki is on River street, near all those antique shops  Down town Troy (in front of the big car park , near that big boat that takes people for rides)

Actually just before Albaraki there is a pricier Egyptian non zabhiha place called Mamoura too

Al Baraki was called Sandra Maries pizza

nouha

Red Robin ... the BEST burgers in town with endless fries... try them with their honey mustard...

sugarqueen

i agree with nouha Red Robin is amazing one of my favorite spots in Albany/Troy area.

another great place is

Homestlye Pizza (senectady)

they have really good speciialty pizzas like their "white pizza" ( with tomatoes and garlic and parmesan cheese sprinkled on top) so good!

Nice atmosphere to sit down and eat, also serves pasta dishes and a variety of other italian dishes great place!

Average price
: can range from 8 bux to 14 bux (depending on what you order)

Jannah

Aashiana Restaurant
Mediterranean Food and More

31 Central Ave, Albany
463-4161

Description: Ok so this is a new restaurant that opened up right next to Shalimar Albany in fact it is IN what was Shalimar's old place. It's a nice little place looks like a pizza place. They just opened and I guess they want to be an Arab restaurant but it's run by desis and even the name is desi?

Average price for dinner and drink:
$7.99

What do they have?: They have some Arab things like shish tawook, beef shwarma, tabouli, fatoush, grape leaves, falafel wrap, basbousa, baklava, etc. The owner said all the meat is zabihah halal.

Food review: I tried the grape leaves (of course) and the shish tawook. The grape leaves were ok but it was served cold which no one really does? The shish tawook is basically just grilled chicken over rice. The rice was really desi rice and the grilled chicken was way too spicy. Maybe he saw that we looked desi but really it was way too hot for Arab food even my mom said it was too hot. I even asked him about it saying how do the average Americans eat it (I know i'm mean) and he said oh Americans love it that spicy. (which i doubt very much). But he was very enthusiastic and said the chicken is all freshly cooked and wants more people to start frequenting the place and gave us fliers to give out to ppl. I think it's a good try for Albany... we've been dying for a real Arab food place. They just need to get an Arab chef and I think they'll be all set.